Sunday, October 25, 2009

Puppy Training and Big News!!

So, yesterday I had my very first puppy training meeting. It was very interesting.. I wasn't the only one there without a dog, one other lady there had applied a few months ago so we stuck together the whole time. It was a lot of fun, I enjoyed meeting everyone, they were all very nice. The raisers learned how to get the dog to tuck in and sit in between your legs (so if you're on a bus or something they aren't out there in the open so can't get stepped on). They also worked on dog distractions and then everyone played and ate. I look forward to next time and here's the big news! The main puppy lady told me and the other girl (puppy-less people) that she is trying to get us each a golden retriever male by Christmas!!!! I'm so excited and I hope she can pull everything through. The facility doesn't have a breeding program yet so they go through other breeders and sometimes we get some from the program up in New York. So, wish me luck in getting it soon (hopefully not during finals week tho!)

Here are some pictures from the training.


Here the raisers had to get the dogs in the hoola-hoops and get their dogs to sit nicely. Then they would all switch hoops which helped work on passing dogs and getting your dog back and focused on you.



This is where they learned to get the dogs to sit in-between their legs. I like this picture because it shows just about every dog we use. The labs, shepherds and mixes (the labradoodle and the golden mix)



These are our two prison pups, they are so good but need extra help with socialization (for obvious reasons) the guys get to go places to work with the puppies tho so thats good.


Sorry about the bad pictures.. I brought my old small camera because I didn't know exactly what we would be doing so I didn't want to risk the big one..

5 comments:

Infrequent Flyers said...

I love those training exercises! I'm going to suggest we do them at one of our puppy groups. I still can't get Cabana to tuck in and sit between my legs. She likes to be WAAAAYYYY out in the open, and I feel like a dork trying to maneuver her out in public.

So glad things are moving along for you and the possibility of a December puppy! We got Cabana last December, and I gotta say potty training in the winter is not ideal. But hopefully, it won't be too bad in your neck of the woods.

Ally and Eclipse said...

Yay! I hope the golden puppy pans out, I got my golden boy two days after Christmas last year! This is so exciting for you!

Natalie said...

Thanks guys, I can't wait.. December house-training will be tough but at least it doesn't snow here! We're kind of close to the coast though so its more wet and cold.. which is almost as bad as snow I think.. well at least having the melted snow all over your clothes lol. But it will be one of the best christmas presents ever!

Coreena said...

YAY! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to meet your little fluff-ball! :-D

Ro said...

Oh my goodness, we're both hoping for dogs tee hee, you to raise, and me for my guide. So cool!!